THE HISTORY OF CLAY
PIGEON RACEWAY AND KART
The Clay Pigeon Racway was founded in the late 1950's early 1960's on a disused
Second World War Military Hospital site. The original track was built by joining the hut
(ward) concrete bases together with tarmac to make a 500 metre track. The Blandford Karting
Club was formed and a Roval Automobile Club Permit was obtained and the first "official" race
took place on Sunday 5th May 1963.
Shortly after this first race meeting the Bath Karting Club assumed the
responsibility of organising RACMSA race meetings.
In the early 1970's the Clay Pigeon Kart Club was formed and has continued to
organise and promote MSA race meetings at Clay, leasing the circuit for 14 days a year from a
long list of owners of the circuit. Neil Hann was chairman in the early years and he and his
volunteers extended the circuit to the 815 metres that it is today.
In the mid 1980's Ian Rennison joined the commitee of the Clay Pigeon Kart Club
and togeter with Neil Hann,Trevor Brown,John Donovan, Colin Clark (and later Ron Davies) were
responsible for saving the circuit in 1989 when the owners Lane Racing Ltd went into
liquidation. They formed Chelborough Ltd, who purchased the freehold of the circuit to
maintain MSA racing in this area.
The circuit was in a poor state and once the trade tennants of the circuit were
removed in 1994 improvements to the circuit were started - new fencing, track widened and
totally resurfaced, tarmac pit areas etc. The club erected a new clubhouse followed by a new
lap scorers hut and new scrutineering facilities.
The circuit has now become a seven days a week business organising arrive and
drive hire karts, Corporate events, practice and hosting most major championships that tour